The Databases section allows you to create MySQL and PostgreSQL databases and users, to modify databases and access to them. SQL stands for Structured Query Language. SQL is an international standard in querying and retrieving information from databases. PostgreSQL is an object-relational Database management system. MySQL is essentially an SQL Server - it responds to requests for information that are written in SQL. You can communicate with MySQL using a wide variety of programming languages (PHP being one of the most common). MySQL is Open Source software and free for use. There are several features in the cPanel Database section:
- MySQL Databases - through this tool you can create new MySQL databases, list and remove the existing ones, add and delete database users with the corresponding passwords.
- MySQL Database Wizard - this feature allows you to create a new MySQL database and to add a user to it using an intuitive wizard.
- phpMyAdmin - this is a link to the phpMyAdmin tool. This application is used for the management of the databases and the database tables, running of sql queries, importing and exporting of databases.
- Remote MySQL - through this feature you can allow a remote database connection to your databases on the server. In the Access Hosts section you should include the IP of the computer, which will initiate the remote connection.
- PostgreSQL Databases - using this feature you can create new PostgreSQL databases, list and remove the existing ones, add and delete database users with the corresponding passwords.
- PostgreSQL Database Wizard - this tool has the same functionality as the MySQL Database Wizard, but for PostgreSQL databases.
- phpPgAdmin - this is a link to the PostgreSQL databases management tool, which has a similar functionality to the phpMyAdmin application.